Transitioning to Distance Instruction
In the event campus closes for an extended period, all courses could transition to the INET (Internet/online) instructional method. INET courses at Missouri Southern are expected to follow the guidelines posted in the Course Home area of every Blackboard course shell:
Internet courses at Missouri Southern are not self-paced correspondence courses. At least one of the following activities requiring student participation will be present every week of instruction:
- Posting to a threaded discussion
- Submission of an assignment
- Submission of a test or quiz
- Participation in an interactive tutorial or computer-assisted instructional activity
Students in Internet classes at Missouri Southern can expect:
- Regular and substantive interaction with their instructors
- Instructor replies to email correspondence within 48 hours
- Grades to be posted to the My Grades area within seven days of the due date of the assignment
Help is Available
Department of Distance Learning
Email – GoDigital@mssu.edu
Scott Snell – Director 417-625-9651
Diana Fordham – Instructional Designer 417-625-3507
Felicia Morley – Instructional Designer 417-625-3512
Noel Wiseman – Instructional Multimedia Production 417-625-9861
Blackboard informational/training resources are available online to all instructors in DL’s Blackboard Professional Learning Network, accessible via the “Organizations” tab in Blackboard (https://mssu.blackboard.com). Schedule an appointment with any DL staff member for personalized assistance.
While transitioning to digital instruction, incorporating a few very basic practices could have a significant and positive impact on students’ success. Click here for more information.
Blackboard Collaborate Quick Start Guide
Live Classroom Lecture Recording
Classroom lecture recording and production is available by appointment with Noel Wiseman (contact information above):
- Recording sessions available 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. any day campus is open (later afternoon hours are reserved for video processing)
- Facility equipped with full suite of instructional technologies
- Bring lecture materials (PowerPoint slides, etc.) on removable storage if possible
- Try to limit lectures to 30 minutes, if possible
- Provide digital (Word, etc.) transcript if closed-captioning is required for students with documented disability accommodations
- Blackboard Collaborate: Integrated with Blackboard, supports audio and video connections and includes chat, polling, whiteboard, and screen or application sharing. Sessions can be recorded.
- Snagit: Incorporate videos, screencasts (a video recording of a screen), screenshots, and images into digital instructional material.
- Respondus 4.0: Convert documents into Blackboard assessments
- Remote proctoring: Options are available.
Email GoDigital@mssu.edu with inquiries
Cigna COVID-19 EAP Resource Update