Stay calm and quickly follow the steps outlined below:
1. In the event of a major utility failure occurring during regular business hours, immediately notify the Physical Plant Department at extension 9331.
2. If there is potential danger to the building occupants or if the utility failure occurs after hours, weekends, and holidays, notify the University Police at 417-626-2222.
3. Assist people with disabilities in exiting the building, if necessary.
4. Once outside, move to a clear area away from the affected building. Keep the walkways clear for emergency vehicles.
5. Do not return to an evacuated building unless directed to do so by the University Police.
Additional Information and Procedures
Always observe the steps above when the following utility emergencies arise:
Electrical Light Fire
Your building may not be equipped with an emergency light system that will provide illumination in corridors and stairs for safe exiting. Therefore it is advisable that your department have flashlights available.
If you are trapped in an elevator, use the emergency phone in the elevator to notify the University Police, 2222. If the elevator does not have an emergency phone, turn on the emergency alarm (located on the front panel) which will signal your need for help.
Stop using all electrical equipment. Notify the Physical Plant Department at 9331 (during work hours). If necessary, evacuate the area.
Cease all operations. Do not switch on lights, or any electrical equipment. Remember, electrical arcing can trigger an explosion. Notify the University Police (626-2222) and Physical Plant Services at 9331 (during regular work hours). Evacuate the area.
Steam Line Failure
Immediately notify Physical Plant Department at 9331 (during regular working hours). If necessary, evacuate the area.
If smoke or odors come from the ventilation system, immediately notify the Physical Plant Department at 9331. If necessary, stop all operations and evacuate the area.